Sound Stories. Sound Voices.
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations
You are on the KUOW archive site. Click here to go to our current site.

Vehicle Donation

To donate your vehicle, call 866.586.9227 (866 KUOW CAR) or fill out this online form on

If your vehicle (automobile, truck, boat, motorcycle, RV or aircraft) is no longer of use to you, it can still go a long way toward supporting local public radio as a donation to KUOW.

KUOW has contracted with Charitable Adult Rides and Services, Inc. (CARS), a San Diego–based company to manage this program for KUOW. CARS is a nationwide service and has given millions of dollars to not–for–profit partners like KUOW.

The contribution KUOW receives from CARS is 80 percent of the automobile's net sale price or $35, whichever is greater. Depending on the age and condition of the vehicle, it will either be sold at auction or for parts. The average gift to KUOW has been $555. The car may be worth more through a private sale.

If you encounter problems with this service, please email or call us at 206.221.2501.

Frequently Asked Questions

Does my car have to be running to qualify for donation?

No, but vehicle must have an engine and be towable. Vehicles that are in extremely poor condition, made from non–recyclable material, or are far from our tow range may be declined. Call our representative to find out if your vehicle qualifies.

What paperwork do I need?

The only paperwork needed is a signed title. (Please note: a clear title indicates the title is in the name of the donor without a lien.)

What if I lost the title?

You will need to get a duplicate title and call us when you have received it.

Do I get a receipt for my donation?

Yes, our driver will issue a receipt at the time of pick-up. This is not your final tax receipt. The initial acknowledgement will indicate your name, and the year, make, model and condition of the vehicle you are donating.

A final acknowledgement with our Federal ID number will be mailed to you within 30 days of the sale stating the amount of gross proceeds received from your vehicle. This will be your receipt for your charitable contribution.

Donors will be allowed to take the amount for which the vehicle sold. You will be sent a letter with this amount when the vehicle sells.

What can I claim as a deduction?

According to the tax law effective January 1, 2005, if the claimed value of the donated vehicle exceeds $500, the taxpayer is limited to the gross proceeds of the sale.

What if my car is valued over $5,000?

Effective January 1, 2005, you will no longer be required to have vehicles appraised. The value you may claim will be the amount of gross proceeds received from your vehicle.

What happens to my donated vehicles?

The vehicles are sold at a private auction. The funds from the vehicles are donated to KUOW.

How quickly can my vehicle be picked up?

Vehicles are picked up at a time that is convenient for you. Call our representative to find out what times are available in your neighborhood.

Why does CARS need Social Security Numbers?

Your Social Security number is required for the tax receipt if the car is valued over $500. If the donor does not wish to give their Social Security number they can only deduct a maximum of $500. The number is encrypted in the CARS system.

Tax receipt and acknowledgements over $500:

Donors will get an acknowledgement and tax form 1098c from CARS on behalf of KUOW.

Acknowledgements under $500:

Donors will get an acknowledgement from CARS on behalf of KUOW. Donors can use the tow receipt or acknowledgement from CARS for tax purposes.

What if the tow truck driver didn't leave a receipt?

If the tow truck driver does not leave a receipt, CARS will mail a receipt to the registered address.

Do I have to be with the vehicle at the time of pick–up?

No. Special arrangements can be made by calling our representative at 866.586.9227 (866 KUOW CAR)

Questions? Send an email to